The Institute of Groundsmanship (IOG) was founded in 1934 by W H Bowles BEM, head groundsman at Eton College. The first 11 founder members formed the National Association of Groundsmen which became the Institute of Groundsmanship in 1969.
The Institute of Groundsmanship is run for its members, by its board of directors and dedicated staff group. Our office team are based in Wolverton, Milton Keynes, and our regional pitch advisory team work from various regions within the UK.
The IOG traditionally has region and branch networks within the UK and Ireland. These groups organise productive and educational local events which offer the opportunity for networking and sharing of ideas and knowledge within the groundscare industry.
The Grounds & Natural Turf Improvement Programme (GaNTIP), is funded by the IOG, the Football Foundation, The Football Association and England & Wales Cricket Board. The aim is to raise the standards of grassroots sport surfaces as well as the understanding of sports turf management.